Monday, September 8, 2014

Hey familia,

 So another week came and went. The happiest part of the week was that Alexander got baptized! Yay. After five months of teaching, worrying, helping, praying and fasting for him, ups and downs, he finally got baptized. He has come to church every Sunday for five months (only missing one), and working though trials but we did it. He was so happy. He told us that when he came out of the water he felt like a huge weight was lifted off of him, or like a black coat that was covering him was removed. He showed up at church very early for his confirmation and couldn't stop smiling. The truth is neither could we. 

For pday we made completos. I sent a picture of the one I made. There is a Chilean sister in our zone that helped us make them. They were so good and I ate the entire thing. My stomach is so bad that it just went right through me. haha

The mission sent me a packet of papers to fill out this week with things like my testimony, things I have learned etc. It gave me some time to reflect on the things I have learned. My first thoughts were of the funny things like that I can now get past any barking dog, contact multitudes of people, or that I can fall asleep through just about any loud noise or music. I know how to make 25 different plates of food using rice, chicken and potatoes, and I have learned how to not laugh in really awkward situations or make conversation about people's table cloths or anything really.

But then I thought of the spiritual gifts I gained, my love for the scriptures especially the Book of Mormon, understanding that revelation is real, gaining a greater testimony of the blessings of obedience, learning to work with others, the faith and hope in knowing that all will be made right through the Atonement and a ton of other things. I was left feeling really grateful and realized how much I love my mission.

I learned a great lesson from the Jaredites this week. I learn a lot from the book of Ether. I was studying about their journey in chapter six and realized it applies to us too. We are required to prepare diligently for the things that will come. God has not allowed that we should travel in darkness and has given us great tools by his hands. God causes the furious winds to blow so that we move forward. There are times were we will be buried in waves of trials. If we are prepared the waves won't hurt us they will only bury us for a moment. As we continue forward we will shed tears of joy and gratitude for the tender mercies we have received in the place where we have arrived. I was impressed that they were grateful not only in the end but through out the journey, even though it was 344 days in a boat with animals and things. It makes me think of how the prophet has said that we shouldn't wait to be happy but to ¨find joy in the journey now.¨

Well hope you have a great week! 

Hermana Rhoten

No comments:

Post a Comment