Monday, January 13, 2014

Hola Familia!

Hey. This week went by really fast. My trip to Huancayo was good and went smoothly. We were praying that we would still be able to leave on time because of the landslides that had been happening and we did. I feel like an official Sister Training Leader now. They gave me a cell phone and I am kinda terrified of it. I don't remember how to use one. Plus I'm afraid of dropping it and it rolling down the side of a hill, figuring out how to answer it and it going off when its not supposed to. But I'm sure I will get used to it after awhile. And I have to make a lot of phone calls. It was kind of nice when nobody could ever get a hold of me. Haha. I was really proud of my companions this week. They did so well handling the area without me. I think they are better missionaries then they can see yet. I'm traveling to Cerro de Pasco this weekend to do divisions there. They bought me a sleeping bag to take up there when I stay the night. It will just be for a 24 hour division but I'm excited!
Me on New Year's night
So when you are training two sisters you watch a lot of the district videos (they are missionary training videos to help you apply things taught in Preach My Gospel.) Each of my companions have different parts to watch so it feels like we watch them a lot. Disclaimer is that I really love these videos and think they teach great principles but sometimes the things they do is a lot different than our mission in Peru. 

District Video: Make sure your area book is updated with all the information necessary so that the missionaries that follow you will have all the information that they need.

District Peru: What should I write for this investigators address? They don't have a street name or house number. Well you can say start at Jorge Chavez. Look for the big tree and count up 5 houses. Its a house made out of dirt with two doors. Ask for the name as you go up and people will know where it is. (That's something cool about Peruvian neighborhoods is that everyone knows everyone.) 

District Video: Ask them to turn off all distractions and do all that you can to invite the spirit.

District Peru:  Teaching lessons outside trying to shout over a lady singing off key at a church, kicking chickens at my feet while trying to share something about the Atonement, pigs and sheep passing through and distracting everyone, with fireworks that go off at any given moment or hour of the day. ( That's the best because my companion always screams when that happens because they startle you.)
lots of Negritos
Negritos more of them

more Negritos
I've realized that I'm so grateful to be in the mission that I am. I love my mission and I'm not sure what I would do if things went smoothly sometimes. I've really learned to enjoy the little parts of the culture that are different from my organized wanting to do everything well personality. You just have to find joy in the moments.

We met Scooby Doo this week. You can't tell me that doesn't look exactly like him. He was just hanging out in the street.
We had a really neat little miracle this week. It was the end of the day and we were looking for a family that we had met. We couldn't find their house anywhere. We had walked up and down this street a bunch of times and were feeling frustrated because it was almost the time for the appointment. We decided to stop and say a prayer that we would be able to find the house. A minute after we prayed we heard a little voice say Hi Sisters! We said hi back and almost walked right past without looking at who it was. It happened to be the youngest boy of the family we were looking for who was only 6 or 7 years old. He wasn't even relatively near his house, nor were any of his family members outside with him. He quietly walked us to his home and we taught them each a lesson about Jesus Christ. 

Hope you all have a great week! Love you. My district leader Elder Urruchua says hi to you all. haha.
Hermana Rhoten

No comments:

Post a Comment